1.08 cr assessees done with linking; over 25 cr PAN card holders, 111 cr Aadhaar holders in India
If you have not linked your Aadhaar with your PAN on the income tax portal yet, you should not delay it. As per latest circular from income tax (I-T) department, it is now mandatory to link Aadhaar and (PAN) permanent account number while filing tax returns.
The rule which will be applicable from July 1, 2017 is aimed at tax evaders who hold multiple PAN cards to escape paying tax. Therefore, after linking both the Aadhaar and PAN, the government hopes to keep tabs on the taxable transactions of a particular individual or entity, whose identity and address will be verified by his Aadhaar card
By linking the two, entities will no longer have to submit their Income Tax acknowledgement to the I-T department, thus saving tax payers a lot of trouble.
When linking, make sure that name, date of birth and gender displayed on the income tax website matches with the detail on your Aadhaar Card. Here’s how to do it:
- The first step towards linking Aadhaar with PAN is to register on Income tax e-filing portal.
- If you are an already registered user on e-filing portal, login to e-filing portal of Income tax department by entering your PAN as User ID, date of birth and password.
- On logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card.
- You can input your Aadhaar number enter ‘captcha’ code and click on ‘link now’.
- In case you have decided to link Aadhaar with PAN later click on ‘later’ button.
- On logging, if no pop up window appear, go to profile Setting and click on ‘link Aadhaar’.
- Enter your Aadhaar number enter captcha code and click on ‘link Aadhaar’.
- The system will match your name, date of birth and gender with PAN card and Aadhaar database, if detail matches, you will get the message “Aadhaar – PAN linking is completed successfully.”
Around 1.08 crore assessees have Aadhaar-linked PAN but the number is abysmally low as there are over 25 crore PAN card holders in the country, while Aadhaar has been issued to 111 crore people. According to statistics with the tax department, only six crore people file income tax returns at present. (readmore…)