Sitharaman also asserted that Islamabad was expanding its ‘arc of terror’ to areas south of the Pir Panjal Range in the Jammu region
Today’s Paper:Pakistan will pay for its “misadventure” and India reserved the right to respond at a “time of its choosing”, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Monday, while blaming Islamabad for the terrorist attack at the Indian Army’s Sunjuwan military camp in Jammu. After a visit to the Army camp, Sitharaman also asserted that Islamabad was expanding its “arc of terror” to areas south of the Pir Panjal Range in the Jammu region.
The defence minister added that Rs 14.87 billion (Rs 1,487 crore) has been allocated to enhance security at military installations.
A group of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorists had struck the Sunjuwan military camp in the wee hours on Saturday, killing six people, including five soldiers. Three terrorists were also gunned down.
However, despite her strong words, the defence minister refused to “set a timeline” for when Pakistan would “pay for its misadventure”.
Here are the top 10 developments:
1) Pakistan will ‘pay’ at a time of India’s choosing: Sitharaman blamed Pakistan for the terrorist attack at the Sunjuwan military camp and made it clear that it will pay the price for its “misadventure”.
She asserted that even though evidence of Pakistan’s role may be shared, India still reserved the “right to respond adequately at the time of our choosing”.
“Pakistan will pay for this misadventure. I repeat, Pakistan will pay for it,” the defence minister, who arrived in Jammu on Monday to take stock of the situation, told reporters. “I would not certainly set a timeline but Pakistan will pay for this misadventure. I can only assure the people of Jammu and Kashmir and the entire country that the Army, both the governments at the state and the Centre, are definitely looking at it with all seriousness,” she said.
2) India will share evidence with Pakistan, but it still reserves the right to retaliate: Asked whether the government was sharing evidence with Pakistan, Sitharaman replied in the affirmative. “Yes, all the evidences which have been collected will be compiled and, definitely, the evidences will be given, as always, to Pakistan. But, Pakistan, inspite of being given dossier after dossier, has not taken any action, she said. “On the contrary, we find people directly responsible for the Mumbai attack and many others still free and roaming happily in Pakistan,” the defence minister added.
She said the Centre would provide evidence to prove that the handlers of the terrorists were back in Pakistan and were influencing the attack.
Sitharaman said giving evidence to Pakistan would have to be a continuous process because it has to be proven over and over again, as many number of times, so that their involvement is there for everybody to see. “The evidences will strengthen that argument. But giving that does not deny us our right to respond adequately and at a time of which we think fit,” she said.
3) ‘Terrorists may have enjoyed local support’: The defence minister said the JeM module that conducted the attack might have infiltrated sometime back and possibly enjoyed local support. “The demography of the cantonment and adjoining areas indicates the possibility of local support to the terrorists and an alert had been sounded on the likelihood of an attack by the terrorists around this period,” she said. | Readmore