Indian Army killed 20 Pak soldiers along LoC in 2018: What must it do next?

Why is Islamabad not deterred when the Indian Army has killed close to five Pakistani soldiers for every single personnel it has lost? Why does Pakistan continue to violate the ceasefire agreement?

Army, soldiers, BSF, jawans

The Indian Army is “inflicting heavy pain on the Pakistani side” and using coordinated fire assaults as it tightens the kscrews on Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC). In fact, the Indian Army’s pressure on the Pakistani army along the LoC has reportedly forced the latter to sound 35 “red-alerts” for its border troops. For its part, Islamabad has been made to pay a heavy price, with the Indian Army revealing that it has killed at least 20 Pakistani Rangers and injured seven more in 2018 itself in cross-border firing along the LoC. However, given that the security forces estimate that close to 200 terrorists are waiting to cross into India and Pakistan’s continued violations, are these military actions yielding the results we need. | Today’s Paper

ALSO READ: 300 militants in Pakistan ready to enter India: Northern Command Army Chief

The data available on Pakistani casualties in 2017 and official statements from both sides indicate that at least since September 2016 (when the Modi government greenlit cross-border surgical strikes after the Uri terrorist attack), the Indian Army has been employing a more muscular policy while responding to infiltrations and ceasefire violations. At present, according to news agencies, the Indian Army has been conducting pro-active operations along the LoC. Indian forces have killed 138 Pakistan Army personnel in 2017 in tactical operations and retaliatory firings along the LoC, intelligence sources told news agencies last month. The same sources revealed that the Indian Army lost 28 soldiers during the same period along the LoC.

Pakistani violations continue
While the Pakistan Army has adopted a practice of not acknowledging the deaths of its soldiers, if the data is reliable, it beggars the question: Why is Islamabad not deterred when the Indian Army has killed close to five Pakistani soldiers for every single personnel it has lost? Why is it that Pakistan continues to violate the 2003 ceasefire agreement?

ALSO READ: Nirmala Sitharaman says Pak to pay for Sunjuwan attack: Top 10 developments

On February 15, the Pakistani Army claimed it has destroyed an Indian Army post along the LoC, adding that the attack had led to the deaths of five Indian soldiers, the Pakistani daily Dawn reported. A video purportedly showing the attack from the Pakistani side was also released on Twitter.

This attack comes despite India’s tough stance against such violations. According to reports, the Indian Army’s local commanders along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir have been given full freedom to respond effectively to any Pakistani misadventure. Army sources told news agencies that the Indian side has been inflicting heavy casualties on Pakistani troops while retaliating to the latter’s shelling along the LoC in the past few weeks. | Readmore

I am LeT’s biggest supporter; Hafeez Saeed likes me too: Pervez Musharraf

The former president added he was always in favour of terrorist action in Kashmir

Ajmal Kasab, Pervez Musharraf, Kulbhushan Jadhav

Today’s PaperFormer Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf has come out in support of the terror groups, the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD), saying they were the biggest force against the Indian Army in Kashmir.

Speaking on Pakistan’s ARY News, Pervez Musharraf said, “I am the biggest supporter of the LeT and I know they like me and the JuD also likes me.”

He further said he liked the global terrorist, JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, and had met him.

The former president added he was always in favour of terrorist action in Kashmir, and the LeT and the JuD were the biggest forces to take on the Indian Army in the state.

“I was always in favour of action in Kashmir and of suppressing the Indian Army in Kashmir and they [LeT] are the biggest force,” Musharraf said.

He also accused India of declaring the LeT and the JuD as terror groups with the help of the United States.

“India got them declared as terrorists by partnering with the US,” Musharraf said, adding,” Yes, they [LeT] are involved in Kashmir and in Kashmir it is, between, we [Pakistan] and India.”

Earlier this week, the US strongly condemned the release of LeT leader Hafiz Saeed from house arrest and called for his immediate re-arrest and prosecution.

The White House in a statement, said, “The United States strongly condemns the release of LeT leader Hafiz Saeed from house arrest in Pakistan and calls for his immediate re-arrest and prosecution.”

“A clear international consensus exists regarding Saeed’s culpability-he was designated by the United Nations under UN Security Council Resolution 1267 in December 2008. The Department of the Treasury has designated Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the United States, since 2012, has offered a $10 million reward for information that brings Saeed to justice,” it read.

Saeed, accused of masterminding the 2008 attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people, was released on November 24 after a Pakistan judicial body ordered his release from house arrest, rejecting a request from the government of Punjab to extend his detention by three months.

The decision to put Saeed under house arrest in January was seen as a response to actions by US President Donald Trump’s White House against nations deemed linked to terrorism.

 

 

Remember 1962 defeat: Chinese media warns India again amid Sikkim standoff

China has accused Indian troops of transgressing into its territory; stand-off started on June 16

ITBP troops

Today’s Paper : While we don’t know what the Chinese soldiers are up to at the Sikkim border, Chinese state media has found a new, actually old, stick to beat India with — the 1962 Sino-Indian war.

Paraphrasing pieces and editorials run by the People’s Daily, Xinhua, and Global Times, the message to India is clear: Remember your defeat in 1962 and accept China’s position in the current stand-off at the Sikkim border.

The latest attempt to browbeat India through ‘editorial warfare’ saw the People’s Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party, post a picture of a Chinese editorial, titled ‘If this can be tolerated, what cannot?’, from September 22, 1962 — just short of a month before the 1962 war started.

We couldn’t access a direct English translation of the editorial. However, the essence of the editorial was that the “Chinese people would not tolerate the provocation by the Indian Army”, according to a People’s Daily Online article titled ‘People’s Daily to India: Borderline is bottom line’. Back then, the editorial had warned of serious consequences for India if the conflict lingered. Further, it had accused Indian troops of encroaching on Beijing’s territory.

“The Indian military’s trespass into Chinese territory is a blatant infringement on China’s sovereignty, which should be immediately and unconditionally rectified,” it said, noting that ever since Indian soldiers “crossed into Chinese territory” and “obstructed work on a road” in the Dokalam area in June, China has lodged a series of protests demanding India pull back its troops immediately.

“India should rectify its mistakes and show sincerity to avoid an even more serious situation creating more significant consequences,” the piece said. |readmore…

Sikkim stand-off: India must compel China to vacate the Doklam plateau

India needs its own strategy of ‘active defence’ in the Indian ocean to counter the Chinese threat

China, India, Doklam

Today’s Paper : Recent events on the Doklam plateau near the tri-junction of India, Bhutan, and China have resulted in plenty of discussion among Indian analysts. The better among these have pointed out Doklam’s limited tactical value to China and the latter’s clear contravention of prior agreements to preserve the territorial status quo with Bhutan. Why then have PLA troops and their political masters risked a potential conflict on such weak grounds? As Ajai Shukla notes, “Beijing’s wish to extend the Chumbi Valley southwards is incomprehensible.” Understanding how this episode fits with China’s rise and broader strategy in Asia can shed light on this question, as well as on the most effective Indian response.

Limited data in the public domain show that the number of Chinese troop incursions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with India has been increasing, from 228 in 2010 to 411 in 2013 (and 334 by August 2014). Major episodes in the last four years include incursions in Ladakh at Depsang, Burtse, Chumar, and Pangong Lake. This pattern fits with China’s increased assertiveness in Asia since the late 2000s. The Doklam puzzle is tied to the larger question of why Beijing has abandoned its “peaceful rise” approach and adopted a strategy that is likely to alienate neighbors and invite balancing coalitions such as the growing India-Japan partnership.

It is tempting to attribute Chinese assertiveness to non-intentional factors such as rising nationalism, the ruling party’s internal politics, or rogue elements in the military. A more accurate explanation, however, lies in Beijing’s considered response to an altered external environment. In the late 2000s, with the US economy in crisis, Washington’s emerging pivot to Asia, and maritime disputes surfacing with Vietnam and the Philippines, Chinese elites began to question the continued wisdom of Deng Xiaoping’s injunction of hiding capacities and biding time. The ensuing debate, according to Chinese public intellectual Yan Xuetong, led to a shift in China’s strategy from “keeping a low profile” to “striving for achievement,” famously outlined in a speech by Xi Jinping in October 2013. | READMORE

 

 

Leave Sikkim Dokalam area with dignity or be kicked out: Chinese media

China and India have been engaged in a standoff in the Dokalam area near the Bhutan trijunction

Photo: Twitter

Today’s Paper : The Chinese official media on Wednesday stepped up its attack on India with editorials asking Indian troops to move out of Dokalam area in Sikkim sector “with dignity or be kicked out” and describing the situation as “worryingly tense”.

While China’s nationalistic tabloid Global Times said India should be taught a “bitter lesson”, another official newspaper, China Daily, said India should look in the mirror.

The Global Times said in its editorial that India will suffer “greater losses” than in 1962 if it “incites” border clashes with China.

As the standoff in the Dokalam area continued for the third week, it said India should be taught a “bitter lesson”.

It also claimed that the Chinese public was infuriated by India’s “provocation”.

“We believe the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) is powerful enough to expel Indian troops out of Chinese territory. The Indian military can choose to return to its territory with dignity, or be kicked out of the area by Chinese soldiers,” it said.

“We need to give diplomatic and military authorities full power to handle the issue. We call on Chinese society to maintain high-level unity on the issue. The more unified the Chinese people are, the more sufficient conditions the professionals will have to fight against India and safeguard our interests. This time, we must teach New Delhi a bitter lesson,” it said. | read more…

Indian army prepared for multi-front war, says Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat

Says the new 17 Strike Corps is being raised specifically for mountain warfare

1496573753-4457

Today’s Paper : Chief of Army Staff General Bipin Rawat, in an interaction with ANI, said that the Indian army is well prepared to face external, as well as internal threats to the country. Speaking to ANI General Bipin Rawat said, “Indian Army is fully ready for a two-and-a-half front war”.

The Army Chief added that even though India is ready for a multi-front war, there are effective mechanisms available to defuse an adverse situation. “Even the PM has stated that for the last forty years not even a single bullet has been fired on the Indo-China border,” said General Rawat.

In a freewheeling conversation with ANI, General Bipin Rawat also informed that a new strike corps, 17 Strike Corps, is being raised specifically for mountain warfare. On asking about the delay in its raising Army Chief said a process as complex as this takes time. He said, “It is being raised from scratch. The recruitments are on. As it is, to prepare an army soldier it takes about three years from recruitment process to training and then orienting and finally their deployment.”

General Rawat went on to discuss modernisation plans of the army, saying that the government is aware of our all needs and is supporting us in every manner. “Make in India is a good initiative, it will give results in two to three years,” said General Rawat.

General Rawat added that all armies across the world maintain an inventory in the ratio of the 30:40:30. In India, 30 percent equipment is of state-of-art technology; another 40 percent is undergoing modernisation and the remaining 30 percent is obsolete, which requires an upgrade.

General Bipin Rawat concluded by saying that the Indian Army’s preparations are not against any specific country. | READMORE…

Pakistan jets fly near Siachen, no violation of India’s air space, says IAF

Mirage jets of PAF are part of exercises since the forward base was made operational

1475328358-3733

Pakistani fighter jets flew near the Siachen Glacier on Wednesday, according to a media report in Islamabad, but Indian Air Force sources said there was no violation of India’s air space.

Pakistan Air Force (PAF) fighter jets made flights near Siachen Glacier this morning, Samaa TV reported.

Quoting sources, the report said all of PAF’s forward operating bases have been made fully operational.

Mirage jets of PAF are part of exercises since the forward base was made operational.

In New Delhi, IAF sources said there was no violation of India’s air space.

The report came a day after the Indian Army announced that it launched “punitive fire assaults” on Pakistani positions across the Line of Control earlier this month, inflicting some damage.

Pakistan’s Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman visited the forward airbase in Skardu today and flew a Mirage jet, the report said.

According to PAF, Aman met the pilots and technical staff of the fighting force. A fighter squadron carried out higher and lower altitude flights.

The Siachen glacier is the highest battleground on the earth. It is located in the eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayan mountains where the Line of Control between India and Pakistan ends. |READMORE…