Malala Yousafzai returns to Pakistan 6 years after Taliban shot her

The education activist was shot in the head in October 2012 by the Taliban gunmen for actively supporting girls’ right to education

Malala Yousafzai,Malala on education,Nobel Peace Prize  winner,Taliban,World Economic Forum ,WEF 2018,women's right education, women education, gender equality

The youngest Nobel laureate, Malala Yousafzai arrived in Pakistan late Wednesday night, after spending about six years abroad.

Yousafzai’s flight- Emirates’ EK-614 – landed at the Benazir Bhutto International Airport at 1:41 AM, reported Geo TV. | Today’s Paper

During her stay in Pakistan, the 20-year-old, is likely to hold meetings with Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, and other important figures. She will also participate in the ‘Meet the Malala’ programme, the report said. Further details have been “kept secret in view of the sensitivity surrounding the visit,” a government official said.

The education activist was shot in the head in October 2012 by the Taliban gunmen for actively supporting girls’ right to education.

The same year, she left Pakistan after surviving an assassination attempt by Taliban, as she was returning from school.

She was hit in the head, but survived the attack and was airlifted to the Military Hospital Peshawar.

Yousafzai was then shifted to London for further treatment.

At the age of 17, Malala was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her contributions to and struggle for promoting education for children. She shared the prize with Kailash Satyarthi, a children’s rights activist.

Malala is widely respected internationally for her bravery and activism, but opinion is divided in Pakistan where some conservatives view her as a Western agent on a mission to shame her country.

Advertisements

In the wake of Jammu terror strike, MoD clears Rs 160 bn rifle procurement

The defence ministry has gone through several long-running acquisition processes for assault rifles and carbines but cancelled them all, most recently last year

Sunjuwan Army camp attack,Nirmala Sitharaman, defence minister, Indian soldiers, terror attack, Jammu and Kashmir,Jaish-e-Muhammad,Pakistan,Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti

Two days after yet another deadly terrorist strike in Jammu claimed six Indian lives, the government restarted a faltering procurement aimed at strengthening the firepower of the frontline infantry soldier, who bears the brunt of counter-insurgency operations and deployment along the Pakistan and China borders. | Today’s Paper

On Tuesday, the ministry’s apex Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, cleared the capital purchase of assault rifles, sniper rifles and light machine guns worth about Rs 159.35 billion ($2.5 billion).

“In the last one month, to equip the soldiers on the border with modern and more effective equipment, the DAC has fast-tracked procurement of the three main personal weapons, i.e., rifles, carbines and light machine guns”, a defence ministry release stated.
The “Fast Track Process” of the Defence Procurement Policy of 2016 (DPP-2016), is directed at concluding an acquisition within a year.

Over the preceding decade, the defence ministry has gone through several long-running acquisition processes for small arms – which include assault rifles, carbines and light machine guns – but cancelled them all, most recently last year.

ALSO READ: Jammu terror attack: MoD clears Rs 160 bn rifle purchase & 10 developments

The core of the approvals accorded today relate to the infantry’s basic weapon – the assault rifle. Approval was accorded for procuring 740,000 assault rifles for an estimated cost of Rs 122.80 billion ($1.91 billion).

The ministry stated the rifles will be procured under the category of “Buy and Make (Indian)”. This involves buying a limited number of fully-built rifles from the chosen global vendor, who then transfers technology to India to build the bulk of the order in the public sector Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and by private firms.

The DAC also approved procurement of 5,719 sniper rifles for long-range shooting by the army and the air force at a cost of Rs 9.82 billion ($153 million). Given the complexity of these high precision weapons, they will not be built in India; but procured fully-built under the “Buy Global” category of the DPP.

However, “the ammunition for these will be initially procured [from abroad] and subsequently manufactured in India”, said the defence ministry release.

The DAC also cleared the purchase of an “essential quantity” of light machine guns for an estimated cost of Rs 18.19 crore ($283 million). This initial procurement is intended to meet the immediate “operational requirement of the troops deployed on the borders… [while a] concurrent proposal is being processed for the [remaining requirement] to be procured under the ‘Buy and Make (Indian)’ categorisation,” said the ministry.
As Business Standard earlier reported (November 4, “Infantry to get foreign rifles, others to get ‘made in India’”), the government is proceeding on two parallel acquisition tracks to procure small arms at affordable prices. | Readmore

 

Nirmala Sitharaman says Pak to pay for Sunjuwan attack: Top 10 developments

Sitharaman also asserted that Islamabad was expanding its ‘arc of terror’ to areas south of the Pir Panjal Range in the Jammu region

Nirmala Sitharaman on sunjuwan attack

Today’s Paper:Pakistan will pay for its “misadventure” and India reserved the right to respond at a “time of its choosing”, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Monday, while blaming Islamabad for the terrorist attack at the Indian Army’s Sunjuwan military camp in Jammu. After a visit to the Army camp, Sitharaman also asserted that Islamabad was expanding its “arc of terror” to areas south of the Pir Panjal Range in the Jammu region.
The defence minister added that Rs 14.87 billion (Rs 1,487 crore) has been allocated to enhance security at military installations.

ALSO READ: Sunjwan: Army sets camp ablaze; Pak alleges India creating ‘war hysteria’

A group of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorists had struck the Sunjuwan military camp in the wee hours on Saturday, killing six people, including five soldiers. Three terrorists were also gunned down.
However, despite her strong words, the defence minister refused to “set a timeline” for when Pakistan would “pay for its misadventure”.

Here are the top 10 developments:
1) Pakistan will ‘pay’ at a time of India’s choosing: Sitharaman blamed Pakistan for the terrorist attack at the Sunjuwan military camp and made it clear that it will pay the price for its “misadventure”.

She asserted that even though evidence of Pakistan’s role may be shared, India still reserved the “right to respond adequately at the time of our choosing”.
“Pakistan will pay for this misadventure. I repeat, Pakistan will pay for it,” the defence minister, who arrived in Jammu on Monday to take stock of the situation, told reporters. “I would not certainly set a timeline but Pakistan will pay for this misadventure. I can only assure the people of Jammu and Kashmir and the entire country that the Army, both the governments at the state and the Centre, are definitely looking at it with all seriousness,” she said.

2) India will share evidence with Pakistan, but it still reserves the right to retaliate: Asked whether the government was sharing evidence with Pakistan, Sitharaman replied in the affirmative. “Yes, all the evidences which have been collected will be compiled and, definitely, the evidences will be given, as always, to Pakistan. But, Pakistan, inspite of being given dossier after dossier, has not taken any action, she said. “On the contrary, we find people directly responsible for the Mumbai attack and many others still free and roaming happily in Pakistan,” the defence minister added.

She said the Centre would provide evidence to prove that the handlers of the terrorists were back in Pakistan and were influencing the attack.
Sitharaman said giving evidence to Pakistan would have to be a continuous process because it has to be proven over and over again, as many number of times, so that their involvement is there for everybody to see. “The evidences will strengthen that argument. But giving that does not deny us our right to respond adequately and at a time of which we think fit,” she said.

3) ‘Terrorists may have enjoyed local support’: The defence minister said the JeM module that conducted the attack might have infiltrated sometime back and possibly enjoyed local support. “The demography of the cantonment and adjoining areas indicates the possibility of local support to the terrorists and an alert had been sounded on the likelihood of an attack by the terrorists around this period,” she said. | Readmore

 

 

Sentenced to death, Kulbhushan Jadhav faces terror, sabotage trials in Pak

Pakistan claims that its security forces arrested Jadhav from its Balochistan province on March 3, 2016

Kulbhushan Jadhav

Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav, who was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on spying charges, is now facing trial in multiple cases related to terrorism and sabotage, according to a report in media. | Today’s Paper

Jadhav, 47, was sentenced to death by the military court in April last year. Pakistan claims that its security forces arrested Jadhav from its Balochistan province on March 3, 2016, after he reportedly entered from Iran. India denies all charges.

India moved the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in May last year against the verdict.

The ICJ halted his execution on India’s appeal pending the final verdict by it.
Dawn reported quoting an official that Jadhav has multiple cases against him in which he had been indicted on terror and sabotage related charges.

The cases are progressing, the paper quoted the official saying.

He said only the spying case against Jadhav has been concluded out of the multiple cases against him.

The paper quoting a source also said that Pakistan on a number of occasions had sought access to 13 Indian officials to ascertain information in the case.

But New Delhi has remained stubbornly uncooperative, the paper said.

The Pakistani source did not disclose the names of the 13 Indian officials that the government wants to quiz. He, however, said: “We want to reach Jadhav’s handlers”.

Besides, Pakistan has sought information about his Navy service file, bank record of his pension payment, and issuance of the passport in the name of Mubarak Hussain Patel, the paper said.

Pakistani officials want to know how the passport in the name of Patel was issued and whether it was original or fake.

Particulars of Jadhav’s properties in Mumbai, Pune and other parts of Maharashtra, which he had acquired in Patel’s name had also been demanded, the paper quoted the source as saying.

The ICJ is currently hearing an Indian petition challenging Pakistan’s refusal to grant consular access to the alleged spy.

 

Jadhav says not tortured in Pak custody, India dubs video as propaganda

He also thanked the Pakistan government for letting him meet his mother Avantika and wife Chetankul in Islamabad on December 25. “This gesture was a positive one… I feel happy.”

kj

Pakistan on Thursday released a video in which alleged Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav claimed he was not tortured in custody and accused an Indian diplomat of “yelling” at his mother and wife after they met him last month.

India dismissed the recorded statement as a “propagandistic exercise” with no credibility. | Today’s Paper

Sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage and terrorism in April 2017, Jadhav, 47, says in the short video clip that he had “not been subjected to any sort of torture in Pakistan”.

He also thanked the Pakistan government for letting him meet his mother Avantika and wife Chetankul in Islamabad on December 25. “This gesture was a positive one… I feel happy.”

India’s External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar accused Pakistan of “simply continuing its practice of putting out coerced statements on video.

“It is time for them to realise that such propagandistic exercises simply carry no credibility.

“The absurdity of a captive under duress certifying his own welfare while mouthing allegations of his captors clearly merits no comment.”

 

Click here to read → Kulbhushan Jadhav

 

I am LeT’s biggest supporter; Hafeez Saeed likes me too: Pervez Musharraf

The former president added he was always in favour of terrorist action in Kashmir

Ajmal Kasab, Pervez Musharraf, Kulbhushan Jadhav

Today’s PaperFormer Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf has come out in support of the terror groups, the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD), saying they were the biggest force against the Indian Army in Kashmir.

Speaking on Pakistan’s ARY News, Pervez Musharraf said, “I am the biggest supporter of the LeT and I know they like me and the JuD also likes me.”

He further said he liked the global terrorist, JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, and had met him.

The former president added he was always in favour of terrorist action in Kashmir, and the LeT and the JuD were the biggest forces to take on the Indian Army in the state.

“I was always in favour of action in Kashmir and of suppressing the Indian Army in Kashmir and they [LeT] are the biggest force,” Musharraf said.

He also accused India of declaring the LeT and the JuD as terror groups with the help of the United States.

“India got them declared as terrorists by partnering with the US,” Musharraf said, adding,” Yes, they [LeT] are involved in Kashmir and in Kashmir it is, between, we [Pakistan] and India.”

Earlier this week, the US strongly condemned the release of LeT leader Hafiz Saeed from house arrest and called for his immediate re-arrest and prosecution.

The White House in a statement, said, “The United States strongly condemns the release of LeT leader Hafiz Saeed from house arrest in Pakistan and calls for his immediate re-arrest and prosecution.”

“A clear international consensus exists regarding Saeed’s culpability-he was designated by the United Nations under UN Security Council Resolution 1267 in December 2008. The Department of the Treasury has designated Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the United States, since 2012, has offered a $10 million reward for information that brings Saeed to justice,” it read.

Saeed, accused of masterminding the 2008 attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people, was released on November 24 after a Pakistan judicial body ordered his release from house arrest, rejecting a request from the government of Punjab to extend his detention by three months.

The decision to put Saeed under house arrest in January was seen as a response to actions by US President Donald Trump’s White House against nations deemed linked to terrorism.

 

 

Imran Khan sends obscene texts, harasses us, says woman who quit his party

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf MNA Ayesha Gulalai said Imran Khan used to send her indecent text messages

Pakistan Tahreek-i-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan. (Photo: Shutterstock)

Today’s Paper : Former Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) MNA Ayesha Gulalai has alleged that Imran Khan used to send her inappropriate text messages.

Addressing a press conference on Tuesday, the PTI MNA from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa announced to quit the party, calling for an inquiry into her allegations against the former cricketer, Geo News reports.

“I am not concerned about a party ticket or NA-1 seat. I did not leave the party over the issue of NA-1,” she said, adding that she had to go through mental agony due to the situation.

“Among many things, sending text messages is one of their bad habits,” she said.

“I received the first message in October 2013, you can check Imran’s Blackberry,” she said, adding that the PTI chairman “urges other women to use Blackberry cellphones so messages cannot be traced.”

“Check his Blackberry and you will know everything,” she added.

“The messages contained words that cannot be tolerated by any respectful individual.”

Imran Khan cannot keep himself under control.”

Gulalai further claimed that many women in the party are facing a similar situation.

Gulalai also alleged that Imran suffers from psychological issues and added that he does not like talented people. | Readmore…